ALSO -The Last Furlong Blog and Life on an alien planet.wordpress

Thursday 15 August 2013

The secret is in the sting

I have been in terrible pain with my shoulder for over two months. NSAIDs (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) eat your stomach and have horrible side effects. I was not happy with them.

Accidentally, and quite co-incidentally, I discovered something called "Urtication" which means stinging yourself at the pain site with stinging nettles to relieve the pain and seeing the stinging nettles are good here at the moment, I tried it. The result was miraculous!  Stinging yourself on purpose with the humble stinging nettle is as good as any pharmaceutical drug. I have been astonished and delighted.I am now pain free!

I works because the body sends out all the anti-inflammatory chemicals and other good stuff it needs to the nettle site - which, of course is your pain site and it works wondrously.

Not so much is written about urtication - its both ancient and modern. If anyone reading this has good links, please send them to me,

But I did see a clinical trial where it ranked with any NSIAIDS, so people must know about it. Couldn't imagine any of our pharmaceutical corporation pets telling anyone in their surgery "Just go home and flog yourself with nettles"! 

Here is a Patent for 2010 for nettle and pain - dried powder - but I think the secret is in the sting.

4 comments:

  1. I have RSI in my shoulder from bad ergonomics working on computers all day - I must give it a try. The problem is trying to be brave enough to sting myself with nettles though, I'm petrified of them after some bad experiences falling into them when I was young (I was a clumsy child) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have a very bad reaction to nettles. I would try a very small sting first - see how long the tingle lasts or if you get horrible reaction. The first time I used them, I was shocked. But actually it got better - I knew what to expect. My pain was noticeably better the very next day. I picked the nettles that had little branches on them - and smashed/crushed the bottom of the stalk so they can remain fresh longer in a litre glass on my kitchen windowsill. I take the little branched plant out of the glass and then roll it over my shoulder and arm. As soon as the plant wilts, the sting goes. I believe it helps people with arthritis, but I don't have any. I am not in any pain now so I am not using nettles now, I used them on the 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th of August. I was so relieved of pain by them, I picked more nettles, but only used them again on the 11th because I had a lot of driving to do - the first time I didn't ask my husband to drive. I am holding my breath - but it is now it is ten days later and I am good! Keep in touch. (Oh, it occurred to me that I should wash the nettles before I used them in case they had bird poo or dust on them Ha)

      Delete
  2. I have RSI in my shoulder from bad ergonomics working on computers all day - I must give it a try. The problem is trying to be brave enough to sting myself with nettles though, I'm petrified of them after some bad experiences falling into them when I was young (I was a clumsy child) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder if it works on migraines??? And where would you sting yourself. I am at the end of my rope.

    ReplyDelete